Over the years, WRW worked with other like-minded organizations to foster and nurture workers organizing and democratic participation. These organizations included the KHRC, LRC, Gender Commission, FEMNET, EQUALITY NOW, FIDA KENYA, HAKI MASHINANI, UFADHILI, KFC, FTA, MPS, ECAS, TRAIDCRAFT and Utz, among others. During our engagement we have been able to take workers’ rights as Human Rights, critique the labor laws, educated workers on their rights and managed to develop a Sexual Harassment policy for the cut flower industry in Kenya. On this, we have been working with the international media to expose unfair labor practices in most industries such as the Delmonte Campaign and Flower Firms Campaign. For the year 2017, WRW has received financial support from HIVOS through the KHRC to implement a Results Based Social certification project for a contract period June 2017 – August 2018.
Areas of intervention
- Flower campaigns – the role of workers and employers in implementing codes of practice and ethical business.
- Sexual harassment campaign-Tackling sexual harassment at the work place
- Labour laws – Lobby the government on the enactment of the labour laws.
- Public rallies to address the issues of co-operate citizenship in Kenya.(CSR)
- Training of trainers (TOT) in Kenya.
- HIV / AIDS policies and rights at work place
The workers’ rights watch believes that industrial justices at the workplace can be best promoted by working with all actors who are affected and those who affect.
- Promoting workers, gender committees and shop stewards organizing around their various struggles and for effective participation in their union’s leadership.
- Production of policy briefs and lobbying government
- Awareness creation on sexual harassments amongst stake holders
- Training of WWCs, gender committees, union negotiation teams, unions branch secretary, farms shop stewards on national law and ILO convections, policy best practices and specific CBA clauses
- Organizing stakeholders engagement between corporations, communities and workers
- Better working conditions with less /Fewer health and safety problems
- Better workers communication with the management that builds confidence.